In my current queue and drafts for Tumblr, it feels like the majority of fiction and poetry is centred on promoting, celebrating and valuing the non-romantic ways aros still love. As much as I respect and support the need for other aros to tell their stories about love, I have to admit to feeling alienated. I’m struggling to find an equal number of depictions of aro identity and self-expression that don’t focus on an aro’s love.
So here’s a collection of reblogged aro poetry more welcoming for loveless aros and aros with complicated relationships to love. These pieces still reference love and discuss love, romance and amatonormativity. They’re not, however, focused on presenting or showcasing the author or narrator’s platonic or familial love. In other words, an aro narrator’s need to love or have their love seen and valued by others is not what these poems are about.
Readers should note that some of these poems depict experiences of attraction (as attraction and love aren’t the same thing) and a vast majority of these poems concern aro-ace identity and experiences. The forthcoming fiction edition of this list is friendlier to loveless allo-aros!
Where no title is given by the poet, I’ve used the first line of the poem. I thought this more descriptive than the word “untitled”.
- @actuallysafe-for-aro: Sometimes I Feel I Have a Cold Spot
- @anarchogypsy: Relationship Anarchy
- @attackofthearos: Green Pill
- @aro-punkwave: Unnamed Aro Poem
- @aro-soulmate-project: Duality
- @aro-soulmate-project: Hey, Siri, When Is it Appropriate to Block Someone on Facebook? (A Poem)
- @aro-soulmate-project: Validation and Other Words for Erasure: A Poem
- @astra-not: Aromantic
- @dontthinkwedontnoticeyou: Love Poem
- @exhausted-queer: Evergreen: An Ode to the Aro Community
- @flow-of-my-mind: Aromantic Love Poem
- @fuckingaromanticadventures: A Haiku
- @kindnessisstillhere: First Heartbreaks
- @mercutioswriting: Try to Steal Me Away; I Dare You
- @poetry-prose-rambling: Asexual You, Aromantic Me
- @poetry-prose-rambling: I Write Stories Sometimes
- @poetry-prose-rambling: Third Wheel
- @raccoonaro: A-Ro Bot (Revised)
- @raiseafuckingglass: To Love No One
- @shall-i-drink: I’ll Have You Know, Never at Any Point Have I Felt Attraction
- @sunless-arizona: We Are Wrong in the Eyes of the Others
- @tallyrunning: Nebulae
- @tallyrunning: Purple and Gold Both Symbolize Royalty
- @tallyrunning: Visibility
- @terrayoung: An AroAce’s Lament
- @theewaterwitch: I Was in Seventh Grade
- @unrealmotions: Love